Under the supervision of the BIM Manager, the BIM Specialist provides BIM training and support to SERA’s staff and projects. The BIM Specialist assists in providing direction in emerging technologies associated with BIM and researches and develops opportunities for process improvement, application, and data integration with Revit. This position communicates current practices and procedures to project staff, and provides support for various design-related software applications.
SERA is a progressive, 100% employee-owned architecture, interior design and urban design & planning firm based in Portland, Oregon. Since 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. In 2015, we opened a second office in the Silicon Valley.
We work collaboratively with communities, universities, corporations, and institutions to formulate a sustainable development framework for the social, cultural, economic, and ecological infrastructure that underpins the making of whole and beautiful places.
Our culture reflects our commitment to great design, client service, and sustainability. SERA provides our employees with an enjoyable work environment and opportunities for professional and personal development. We provide quality service to our clients, while ensuring the growth and well-being of our team.
Job Title: BIM Specialist
Department: Information Technology
Supervisor: BIM Manager
Duties and Responsibilities
- Directly assist Revit users to efficiently produce high quality project deliverables.
- Assist BIM Manager in the development of training programs. Act as primary trainer for new Revit users, as well as providing continuing education for current Revit users.
- Track training program metrics to determine effectiveness.
- Assist in development of BIM “best practices” for SERA.
- Assist users with setting up new projects in Revit.
- Provide direct support to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve Revit technical issues for all project teams.
- Assistance in development of, as well as responsibility for implementation of, departmental standards related to document production, archiving practices, auditing protocols, and project set-up.
- Develop workflow enhancements, content, and the integration of third-party software packages to Revit.
- Track metrics associated with new workflow efficiencies.
- Coordinate clash detection on projects.
- Research, learn, and implement new software that advances design & sustainability efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- 2 year Technical Degree, or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of BIM/Revit (Architecture) experience required.
- Experience with the interaction between Revit and software used for solar analysis, daylighting, IES, and other LEED applications preferred.
- Demonstrated experience providing Revit training, including how to create complex Revit families. Training experience should include in-person, remote access, one-on-one, and group formats.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledgeable of multiple application platforms and complex systems, including Revit, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, Newforma, 3D Studio Max, SketchUp, and Rhino.
- Understanding of Revit worksharing and Revit Server/C4R.
- Ability to troubleshoot Revit and project related issues.
- Ability to create accurate, 3D parametric families for Revit.
- Intermediate design and production skills required.
- Ability to balance a wide array of tasks, responsibilities, and commitments efficiently and simultaneously
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Familiarity with using and creating point clouds in Revit and laser scanning in general.
- Flexibility in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to comfortably lift and carry 50 pounds; walk with / carry equipment upstairs as needed.
SERA Architects Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.