This position requires an independent thinker to lead a team with the project manager. You will be able to guide projects, using your experience and professional judgement to craft the final outcome. You will have the opportunity to develop a wide array of skills whether they be technical, design, or managerial. You will be able to influence exciting projects across a wide variety of types and clients.
SERA is a progressive, 100% employee-owned architecture, interior design and urban design & planning firm based in Portland, Oregon. Since 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. In 2015, we opened a second office in the Silicon Valley.
The SERA Workplace team enables businesses and organizations to transform their vision, culture and objectives into purposeful built environments. Our design team employs planning frameworks and outcome-based design strategies to maximize value in real estate solutions for sustainable design, interior environmental quality and space planning principles. We create visually and spatially compelling places that engage the workforce and create a rich cultural experience.
Our Workplace team brings diverse professional skills in architecture, interior design and engineering to create solutions that enrich human health, performance and happiness for both local and global organizations. The work is high performance, high velocity, and highly collaborative. Our teams achieve their highest performance as integrated teams with owners and builders.
Job Title: Senior Job Captain
Supervisor: Studio Leader
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understand and ensure adherence to SERA's graphic standards across team members.
- Ability to perform independent construction contract administration.
- Supervise, coordinate, plan and review the work of 3-6 staff members. This includes the mentoring of staff on project teams.
- Use the building code to develop architectural drawings. Provide code interpretations supporting the project objectives.
- Support the project by interacting/ negotiating with jurisdictions to obtain building permits.
- Interact with the client to achieve project goals.
- Familiarity and adherence to project contract requirements.
- Provide leadership for the project assigned.
- Interact with other SERA resources to achieve project goals.
- As individual researcher or staff specialist, carries out complex or unique assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures.
- Ability to design and execute portions of larger projects or entire smaller projects.
- May perform limited project management duties such as project work plan and schedule development either as part of a larger project or as individual researcher.
- Be a resource to and/ or for other SERA staff.
- Be familiar with current trends in the A/ E/ C industry.
- Participate in the management review of subordinate staff.
- Provide constructive feedback to facilitate continuous improvement.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Requires a Bachelor or Master’s degree from an accredited program.
- Architectural license preferred.
- Six or more years of professional experience preferred.
- Possesses knowledge of the OSSC/ ADAAG and possesses the ability to achieve the intent of the code through variances and appeals.
- Possesses knowledge of other codes such as OMSC, OFC, NFPA, OSHA, FHA, ANSI, City of Portland, etc. and the USGBC LEED rating system and score card.
- Proficiency in Autodesk Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office Suite, and Bluebeam required.
- Knowledge of, Sketchup, SpecLink, Smartsheet, Ajera preferred.
- LEED AP Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to communicate through verbal, written and graphic communication formats.
- Advanced ability to determine the right tool for the task.
- Advanced ability to prioritize and evaluate multiple important tasks.
- Established critical thinking to identify strengths, weaknesses or alternate solutions to a problem with limited supervision.
- Established professional judgment and decision making processes to determine the most appropriate course of action.
- Ability to motivate and guide teams and projects to desired outcomes.
- Ability to resolve conflict within project teams.
- Ability to negotiate with and/ or advocate for team members, consultants, clients, jurisdictions for the benefit of SERA and the project.
SERA Architects Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.